Wednesday, July 14, 2010

The First Dislike


Ignorant. People.

Simple, isn't it? Every day, I have to try and fix some ignoramus' (ignoramii's?) computer. This wouldn't be an issue normally as, hey, that's kinda what I'm paid for but when 95% of the issues I've been asked to look at consist of "my monitor doesn't work" or "my computer wont turn on", you'd think the business would consider some basic
IT training for all staff! I'm not talking about teaching them anything technical, just something as simple as... "Check that the damned (computer part) is plugged in before contacting me"

I know I'm not the only one to have to deal with this issue (but this is my damned blog and I'll cry if I want to) and I'm sure people enjoy the occasional chuckle they get from Joe Bloggs over by the window who has no clue but the point I'm trying to raise is "Why, in this day and age of technology, do people not realise that things that need power from an electrical outlet need to be plugged in?!" Computer illiteracy is the most common excuse I hear from someone when I give them my patented and subtle "You're an idiot" look. Are you toaster illiterate too? Are you hair dryer illiterate too?
A confusing piece of machinery, this is.


I can tell many of you would be thinking that perhaps I should just write a basic document for people to go over as basic troubleshooting techniques. Good idea! Shame I only last 3 weeks in this job as the travel is damned near killing me... If I was staying here, I would have said something by now or at least mentioned it to the boss but as I'm leaving, I haven't said anything and as such, I'm still irritated. Plus who the hell reads those emails from IT anyway... Don't judge me.

1 comment:

  1. A-fucking-men.

    All of this and more is true about the state of employees in regards to IT.

    It's a similar to cars. You don't have to know how the damn things runs, all the specifics of the engine, etc. But you DO need to know the damn thing runs on petrol, and that you need to turn the key to get it going!

    Unfortunately, companies will never see mandatory introductory computer courses as a necessity, as they are already paying out through the nose for new staff. Giving them a course, or a test if they are already proficient, is just not "cost effective".

    So blog on dear sir, vent away! You shall be the voice for the generation. Some shit like that.

    ReplyDelete